Monday, September 26, 2011

Feisty Fido

I thought I had come to the end of my rope with this leash aggression and just not finding resources that were helpful. I mean, we've done obedience classes; I've tried working with the clicker; I've tried so many techniques. And then on top of practicing, I've looked for books and resources online about what to do with leash aggression specifically. There are tons of dog training books, but rarely do they focus on the specific problem of leash aggression.
And then one day, I stumbled upon "Feisty Fido" by Patricia McConnell and Karen London. Someone, somewhere blogged about this book (and whoever that was, I'm sorry I forgot who you are, but thank you!) and I instantly went online and purchased it. The whole premise of the book is about dealing with leash aggression.
The techniques in the book are not overly new ideas, but they lay it out exactly how you should start and progress from there. It is so straightforward about what you need to do. Not only that, but it's realistic. For example, they talk about how it may take some dogs a few weeks to master the new habits, but for some it could take months or even just continual work. The other thing I appreciated about the book is that the descriptions of scenarios you deal with with a leash aggressive dog were so close to what I've experienced it was scary.
I highly recommend this book. It wasn't expensive. It was an easy read. Plain and simple, it has practical tools you can use for this specific issue.


No comments:

Post a Comment