Saturday, June 15, 2013

Waiving The White Flag

Yes, it's true.  I've waived the white flag.  I've admitted defeat.  I don't know how to train my dogs!  My dogs have out of control moments that I don't know what to do with!  So, I finally broke down and hired a professional.  I have hired a former head dog trainer from Petsmart who now just does dog training on the side, but at your home.  I didn't sign up for a class again, because I didn't think a class would do anything.  My dogs needed a trainer to see how they behave when we are out on our walks and encounter a dog, or a bike, or a stroller for goodness sakes!

Our trainer's verdict:  Our dogs are scared.  I'm a little person with a high pitch voice, ergo, I don't sound like I can protect myself and my "pack" when we encounter something scary.  Therefore, the dogs erupt out of fear.

Plan:  Dominance training.  The word "dominance" sounds so harsh, but so far it's been working well.  Essentially, we are focusing on establishing me and the hubbs as the dominant ones - not the dog.  The homework involves a lot of stays and heeling based on eye contact.  There isn't much verbal praise at all and no affection in the training part.  Oh, and no treats so far either.  The dog is being trained to seek us out for their cue to move forward or be released from a stay.  Already I'm seeing improvement, but we're still only a few days into practicing, and we haven't done a ton with the dogs walking together either.

No comments:

Post a Comment