Monday, April 16, 2012

Counter-Intuitive Thoughts On Dealing With Dog Aggression

Even though the dogs are behaving "better", I still wouldn't say they could pass their Canine Good Citizen right now (ironically, both dogs have this certification and have regressed manners-wise).  I'm always wanting to get their behavior better and better.  I recently came across this blog/website and it has some really good articles on it:  Here's a snapshot of what I was reading about dog aggression:

"The key to making a dog feel less afraid or upset about exposure to the stimulus is by making the dog feel better about the stimulus. That's the goal of classical counter conditioning and desensitization protocols which treat the root of the problem. These techniques are counter-intuitive - the presence of the trigger, rather than the dog's behavior, must be the reliable predictor of reinforcement. Essentially, we're giving the dog what he wants (toys, food, etc.) at the instant he sees the other dog or person, continually until they're out of sight, at least in the initial stages of training. It doesn't matter what my dog is doing - I don't care if he's sitting, lying down, standing, or if his hackles are fully raised. Yep, I'm going to feed him even if he's noticing the dog and not giving a full-blown reaction, maybe if it's a soft growl or muted "woof," I'm still feeding him."


If dog aggression isn't your issue, there are tons of articles on other dog and puppy training issues!

No comments:

Post a Comment