Wednesday, May 4, 2011

bark all you want!



Sweet little Copper... he has always been our barker, but he's developed a new thing since the training...

This morning he saw a dog outside of our window and started barking...He then proceeded to bark to me. Why did he start barking at me? While I'll never know exactly what he was thinking, I think I have some idea. You see, instead of telling him to be quiet, I simply continued eating my breakfast and ignored his initial barking. Then, I continued to ignore his bark toward me. It was as if he was trying to say "hey mom, don't you care that there's this dog outside and I was trying to tell you".

I don't think everyone has the patience to do this, but I have a feeling this is going to be helpful (so I'm gonna give it a try): whenever I can just stand there and let him bark toward me, I will. Then, I'll turn around if he absolutely won't just stop on his own, that way he knows he's being ignored. I want to see if he'll get tired of barking and essentially bored so that he'll calm down.

No comments:

Post a Comment