Tuesday, May 17, 2011

update on food aggression

So far things have been going great on the food aggression front!

Copper has been really well behaved at food time. He has even started slowing down a little when he does eat.

Here's what it looks like:

1. Both dogs are fed at night time (so they'll respond better to the leash training)

2. I put the food in both bowls, but only put Sara's down for her to start

3. I let Sara eat the majority of hers first. Then, I put Copper's down.

4. I don't let him start his until I give him his "release" signal.

5. I take away the bowl a few times while he's eating and I don't let him start again until I give him the signal.

6. Then, I will sometimes poke at his side and his back end while he's eating to see if he will get irritated - and so far he's good

7. We'll keep down this path of practice for a long time. I want to make sure he knows he needs my permission before he can eat. I want him to know who is the authority so that we can all get along really well!

No comments:

Post a Comment