Tuesday, May 3, 2011

the last few days...

ok...so it's been raining in nashville a LOT! which has not helped the dog training process. Not only can I not take them to the dog park to get their exercise, but I can barely take them on walks without myself getting soaked. So, I've been breaking some rules. I've been taking them on walks together when it's rainy. I know I know. This is one of my big rules- to not take them on walks together until they can absolutely handle it, but when weather gets in the way, I've given myself permission to break this rule.

How have the dogs been doing...?

Copper - poor dog has so much energy that he can't get out because of the rain, but he has been doing better at seeing other dogs in the courtyard while on a leash. We have one neighbor who sits with his black lab on his front porch and copper has seen it from a distance a few times in the last few days and not gotten whiny.

Sara - had a successful play session in the courtyard the other day with three dogs that were hanging out down there. The key was that it was off leash. She got comfortable with them and then when I put her back on her leash, she was fine. Now if only we could do that with every dog in the building....

Walking-wise, they are both great on the leash when there are no dogs. They are paying good attention to me. And we can be half a block away from a non-aggressive dog with the dogs staying in a sit and focusing on me.



What to keep working on...

* they need to be walked separately so that when we do encounter dogs, they do ok. good thing it's supposed to be sunny for a few days
* we need to get the dogs able to be on other side of street with a dog walk by on the opposite sidewalk
* continue to get comfortable seeing dogs in the courtyard area


wheew! i need some more treats for training times...i guess this means another practice session at petsmart soon

No comments:

Post a Comment